Painting 5.0 – “That is not dead that can eternal lie.”

That is not dead that can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.” Abd Al-Azrad 730AD.

2014-09-14 Undead-01

Okay, my painting blog is up to date and here’s my current painting project – Two dozen undead!

  • 10 Ghouls – Games Workshop (’98)
  • 9 Skeletons – 6 are Ral Patha (’85), 3 are Prince August (mid 80’s)
  • 1 Wraith with flaming sword – Ral Partha (’87)
  • 1 Vampire – Games Workshop (’85)
  • 1 Wight – Games Workshop (’85)
  • 1 Skeleton Lord (Wight) – Games Workshop (’92)
  • 1 “Mouth of Sauron” – Citadel (’85)

I’ve got the skeletal horse for the “Mouth” – I should get that out and paint it at the same time.

I wanted some reasonable Ghouls for a long time, and these were a gift from a friend. I’m very happy to be painting them finally. The rest of these will be great to have done too, then I think it’s back to character figures!

Advertisements

Painting 4.5 – “It’s really been getting up my nose…”

Years ago (if not a decade or more) I bought a metal troll figure – I can’t tell now if it’s Games Workshop or Ral Partha (like most of my other metal mini’s)…

He stands 5 cm high, and apart from being used occassionally in Warhammer Quest I haven’t had much use for him. I don’t even like the figure that much… and (like other figures, or books, that I didn’t want anymore) decided to try selling him on ebay and buy more pre-painted D&D mini’s. I decided that painting him first might increase my chances of a sale as well as (hopefully) his value. So I started to paint… months ago…

This single figure has taken longer than anything else I’ve worked on. I chose green skin because that’s what colour trolls are in my (mostly D&D influenced) thoughts. It’s worked out better than I’d expected, but I’m still not planning on keeping him!

Troll

Painting interlude…

This wasn’t really a painting project, just something to work in with my gaming life…

One of my friends runs a Pathfinder D&D campaign and my wife’s character (paladin) attracted a NPC Cohort (companion or associate) who is a ranger. I painted this figure one weekend ready for our next gaming session.

Zephyra-2 Zephyra-1

Painting 4 – “rats!”

Recently after some discussion with a friend who paints (Azazel) I got some recomendations on spray painting. I finally have spray varnish to protect my figures. I didn’t get a can of spray primer/undercoat until after I’d done each of these by hand with a brush but from now on the set-up for painting will be much faster.

One dozen Games Workshop plastic giant rats… I started with black at one end of my line of figures and went lighter into browns at the other end. Then finally a white-brown paint mix over feet, tails, and the edges of ears, eyes and nose.

I’d been having trouble getting a good “flesh” tone paint – so mixed my own for these. (Two bottles bought months apart both proved lumpy and unusable… I changed shop and brand and now have something worthwhile.)Giant rats

Painting 3 – Time for a well swung golf club…

Vermin! Not something seen inside my house except when they are made of plastic or metal.

I like the idea of painting a small groups of figures because you can keep using the same colours.

One dozen plastic Games Workshop spiders – originally bought for Warhammer, but suitable for plenty of other games.

I decided to do them in sets of three – some look better than others – but I was painting for fun.

 – Spiders

Painting 2.3 – Brazzemal, Old Gargantuan Red Dragon

The last of my three dragons – painting was completed just in time in March 2014 for me to use him as “Brazzemal” – the great Red Dragon in the lowest level of G3 “Hall of the Fire Giant King” in my D&D Campaign. (I did my own conversion of the whole Giants Saga, from 1st Ed to 3.5) I got a great reaction from my players when I put the figure on the game table. It stands 11 cm high (to wingtips) and about 9 cm across. (In D&D this scales to about 22 feet high correctly towering over my player’s characters.)

Main body and wing edges all painted in a basic red. I did a light red coat over the wings and later mixed a darker red as a final coat. Belly scales all bright yellow, then dry brushed to edge them with orange. Claws silver, horns grey and wing barbs in black. Originally the horns were going to be black too, but I liked the look of them in grey and left them that way.

I need to do a little more work on the base, but it’s not a great concern at this time. When I’m in the right mood I’ll touch up the main body scales and if I can get a fine file I want to reshape those two front teeth! In any case, I’m very happy with the way this one came out. 🙂

2014-03-29 Red Dragon-2 2014-03-29 Red Dragon-1

Painting 2.2 – “Hey there, Mr Blue…”

Dragon number two… the Blue.

This figure is 7.5cm high (to wingtips) and about 11cm long. Both rear legs (and the base section they are on) had to be attached as well as each wing. Fairly easily done, with minor trimming to get everything to fit neatly. The main body and wing edges were done with my main blue paint. I mixed a lighter blue for the wings. Grey horns, wing spikes started grey as well, but I went over them with a light brown. Claws silver.

2013-12-28 Dragons

Belly scales are a dark sandy yellow-brown with almost a greenish tinge to it. Most of the recent images (and figures I have from D&D) use a bright yellow for the belly, but I wanted something darker.

DIGITAL CAMERA DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m not satisfied with this dragon – at some point I’ll come back to it and do something to lighten the belly scales and do some shading on body scales. I’ll try and put some more detail or highlights into the wings too.