I haven’t had much luck with my attempt to focus on writing. I did a lot on the long weekend, but haven’t got very far since then. Part of that relates to warm weather and work being really busy – I just haven’t felt like it when I’ve come home. I did have a great D&D Session last weekend, and I’m trying to organise another session next week while everyone remembers what’s happening.
I spent a bit of time today finishing off shields for four of my drow troops. I only planned to give shields to half the group, but I’ve got plenty of spare shields, so in future I might do another four!
“Timber” backed (which you can’t see from the front), silvered edging and black front. Two designs – 1: red (crimson and a hint of fluoro red) with gold studs; 2: dark green with a fluoro green highlight, white skull pommel and antique gold crossbar.
I’m sure these WH figures originally came with shields, and I may have even picked the “right” ones. (They do look okay without any shield.) While each figure has an arm held up/across the body in classic shield-holding position, there isn’t a stud or smooth place on the arm that makes it easy to attach a shield. I used a little bit of a blu-tak variant (it’s yellow!) to help fill in the slight depression in the centre of the shield back and correctly place the shield, with some super glue. That seems to be holding fine and I just painted over the little bit of visible yellow later on.
Something that occurred to me while I was doing this was that a bit of blu-tak would hold the shields on neatly for gaming, and I could have a whole troop with “removable” shields.
The photography hasn’t come up the best, but one of the blogs I read this week had a guide for building your own light box (for miniature photography) and I might give that a try.