Warhammer Quest – Bats

Dave (Scent of a Gamer) recently painted his Warhammer Quest rats, reminding me that my bats are one of the few groups of monsters unpainted from the original box. I dug them out from my boxes of figures and painted them over the weekend.

It turns out that only the skaven from the box are still to do… and of course a scattering of other warhammer figures I bought in blister packs and boxes to use with WQ and D&D. The skaven are a project that I might work on next year, but I have some chaos warriors from Hero Quest and Warhammer undercoated and ready to paint soon.

I planned to do three different paint schemes, but once I started doing red wings, I liked the look… while half of the red-wings have slightly lighter wings, and paler body fur than the others there’s really only two distinct groupings. The ones with black wings and yellow fur are based on some of Australia’s ‘flying foxes’ – fruit and nectar-eating bats.

They were fun to paint and pretty easy. I could have fussed more with the fur, but they look good enough for me at this point. The bases could do with a another coat of grey tonight before I varnish them tomorrow. There were 12 figures originally, but one sacrificed its base for a flying owl figure I did last year.

It’s Snotlings, but not as you know it…

I’ve completed this group of 14 snotlings from Warhammer Quest (GW) in pretty much two days, which could be a record (for me) for painting that many figures in a short time. While the weather has been a cold mess recently, I got enough sunshine Friday morning to spray them white and let them dry outside, and again this morning to give them two coats of clear acrylic.


I chose these for two reasons. Firstly, I’ve been writing a section of my mega-dungeon that has a group of gremlins – rather small humanoids. I have a good batch of painted GW goblins, but no small humanoids (apart from my distinctive kobolds) for general purpose use. These are just the right size for generic small humanoids, and there’s a lot of them. Second, while they have some nice detail, each is simply holding a club and wearing a loincloth. I expected them to be pretty easy and quick to paint, and they were!


These have only been used as Snotlings when I was playing Warhammer Quest regularly. Now, with a standard (not-green) flesh colour, they will stand in for any small humanoid, be it gremlin, mite, or darkfolk. They are 3 feet high by D&D’s scale. I picked three colours to paint the loin cloths, so I can always use a specific colour to represent a particular group, or just throw them all in together. I also clipped off a few club spikes for a tiny bit of variety.

I’m very happy having some more painting done, especially something that will see use. Now I can go back to trying to ignore at the 12 undercoated figures on the side of my painting desk like I have for past months.