Dave (Scent of a Gamer) recently painted his Warhammer Quest rats, reminding me that my bats are one of the few groups of monsters unpainted from the original box. I dug them out from my boxes of figures and painted them over the weekend.
It turns out that only the skaven from the box are still to do… and of course a scattering of other warhammer figures I bought in blister packs and boxes to use with WQ and D&D. The skaven are a project that I might work on next year, but I have some chaos warriors from Hero Quest and Warhammer undercoated and ready to paint soon.
I planned to do three different paint schemes, but once I started doing red wings, I liked the look… while half of the red-wings have slightly lighter wings, and paler body fur than the others there’s really only two distinct groupings. The ones with black wings and yellow fur are based on some of Australia’s ‘flying foxes’ – fruit and nectar-eating bats.
They were fun to paint and pretty easy. I could have fussed more with the fur, but they look good enough for me at this point. The bases could do with a another coat of grey tonight before I varnish them tomorrow. There were 12 figures originally, but one sacrificed its base for a flying owl figure I did last year.